Homeless Students / McKinney-Vento Grant
Caledonia Community Schools is committed to helping our students who are experiencing homlessness through the McKinney-Vento Grant. Each public school district and academy has a homeless liaison who assists with enrollment, academic support, and ongoing needs.
If your family is in a temporary or inadequate living situation due to a loss of housing, your child might be eligible for certain education rights and services.
McKinney-Vento ActUnder the McKinney-Vento Act, children in transitional housing situations have the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.
- Attend either the local school or the school of origin, if this is in their best interest; the school of origin is the school the child attended when he/she was permanently housed or the school in which the child was last enrolled.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if missing records and documents normally required for enrollment, such as birth certificate, proof of residence, previous school records, or immunization/medical records.
- Enroll, attend classes, and participate fully in all school activities while the school gathers records.
- Have access to the same programs and services that are available to all other students, including transportation and supplemental educational services.
- Attend school with children not experiencing transitional housing; a school can not segregate a student because of this.
Local Liaison:Amanda Kozlowski - 616.891.8185