Our Young Fives program meets five full days each week and is designed for children who need additional time and support to develop the skills needed for a successful kindergarten experience. The Young Fives curriculum provides appropriate social, emotional, physical and intellectual experiences to prepare children for success in school.
Open House Fall 2022
We are so excited to meet our incoming Young Fives students this fall! Date TBD
2021 - 2022 ENROLLMENT
Young Fives students attend school according to the Caledonia Community Schools district calendar. They attend school five full days at the Duncan Lake Early Childhood Center. The start and end times for the 2021/22 school year are are 8:45 AM - 3:40 PM on full days.
District Printable Calendar
Developmental Areas Covered in Young Fives
While in Young Fives, the learner will begin to develop in the following areas:
- Expressing thoughts and feelings in an appropriate manner.
- Practicing appropriate problem solving skills with peers.
- Interacting with others in a cooperative and respectful way.
- Participating in new experiences.
- Demonstrating self-control and confidence.
- Stayig with a task through completion
- Developing positive self-image.
- Developing a positive attitude towards school.
- Being comfortable in a school environment
- Taking responsibility for belongings and materials.
- Making and expressing choices, plans, and decisions.
- Following classroom routine and transitioning cooperatively.
- Initiating various interactions.
- Naming a circle, square, triangle and rectangle.
- Sorting objects by shape, color and size.
- Extending and creating a simple pattern.
- Understanding basic concepts of position (above,below, between, etc.)
- Interpreting graphs
- Counting objects
- Counting by ones
- Forming sets of objects
- Writing numbers (0 -9)
- Identifying and sequencing numbers (0-10)
- Comparing quantities of objects.
- Seeing themselves as independent, capable of making choices different from others.
- Exploring and discussing family life.
- Becoming aware of the community and environment.
- Engaging in activities that promote personal safety.
- Listening to a speaker.
- Listening to and discussing elements of a story.
- Expressing themselves in simple sentences.
- Recognizing similarities and differences in words.
- Demonstrating the give and take of conversation.
- Participating in dramatic/role play.
- Expanding his/her vocabulary and using it in everyday language.
- Taking an active role in classroom discussions.
- Recognizing one's own name in print.
- Being aware of letters in the alphabet.
- Printing his/her first name.
- Using age appropriate drawing to convey thoughts.
- Identifying 8 basic colors.
- Exploring the natural environment.
- Observing and describing weather changes.
- Investigating changes in his/her environment.
Fine Motor Skills
- Using a pencil/crayon correctly.
- Using scissors correctly to cut desired shapes and lines.
- Copying a simply design.
- Manipulating various objects.
- Exploring a variety of materials and media.
- Expressing themselves creatively (drama, art, music, writing).
- Using materials to make simple representations and verbalizing what he/she has created.
Young Fives vs. Kindergarten
Young Fives 2021/22
Start and End Times
Monday - Friday 8:45am - 3:40pm
Half-Day Dismissal 12:00pm
Student Drop off Time
Please park in the lot next to the playground and wait with your child for the teachers to come out to collect the students. When the bus arrives is your cue that the teachers will be out in just a moment. If the bus has already left when you arrive, please sign your student in through the front office (entrance on Duncan Lake).