2019-20 Supplemental Essay Guide
What do the 2019-20 supplemental essay prompts really mean, and how should you approach them? College Essay Advisor's experts are here to break them all down.
College Essay Examples
- Why did you choose us?
- What are your career goals & how can we meet them?
- How would you describe yourself as a human being?
- Why do you think you would be a good fit at our school?
- What person in your life has had the most impact on you?
- If you can spend a day with someone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
- What is the best advice you have ever received and why?
- How would your friends describe you?
- Create your own questions and answer it.
- What captivates you?
- What is a book you love?
College Essay Tips
Answer the question & answer honestly
Watch the humor & content
Your humor may not match the readers
Show to an English teacher you like
Write it yourself
- Not someone else’s ‘significant editing’
Use the essay for multiple schools/scholarships
- Be sure to make the necessary subtle changes
Don’t repeat yourself
- List of accomplishments & achievements will already be on the admission application
Write only on weekends
- You have enough on your plates academically
Don’t exceed the word limit
- 302 words for a 300 word essay is not okay
Write about YOU!
- Not the influence or the life-changing event
The challenge essay tips
- Challenge is not always a crisis
- Challenges can be too personal
- Do not overwrite
- Do not skimp on resolution and reflection--most important
- Avoid “My challenge is writing this essay”
- What do you bring to the college?
- What do you value?
- How do you perceive the world?
- What’s your role in the world?
- What’s the nature of your interactions with the world?
Write about something important to you or that makes you unique
- An experience; life-changing event; book; a person; etc.